This frame feeder is a staff favourite at HBS. It's great for feeding your hives sugar syrup in early and mid winter. It's also great for nucs. A very well-made product that will see you through a few seasons.
- Made in America by Mann-Lake
- Very durable with reinforced lugs
- 1 gallon capacity (approximately 3 litres)
- Sturdy, clever design
- Plastic ladders stop the bees from drowning in the syrup
- Wooden cap prevents bees from forming burr comb inside
- You can refill this feeder with a funnel without taking it out of the hive
- Easy to take apart and clean.
A handy tip from HBS staff: feed sugar syrup to your hives all at the same time, and late in the day. This will minimise the chance of robbing.
feederBy: michael p on 7 October 2021very good feeder, safe for bees as well
Good quality, good fit16 May 2018As other frame feeders I have seen tend to be a bit larger than a frame (making for awkward fit), this is a good size and is good build quality (so I do not expect it to bulge or crack anytime soon).Note that this is the yellow feeder, not the black one (for some reason) also pictured (with the wood top and caps) - which is a bit confusing. The textured interior and included floats do effectively prevent drowning, and the capacity is a good compromise between time before needing to refill and old syrup fermenting. So overall, not perfect but recommended for an easy and versatile frame-swap-out supplemental feeder (that also fits in a Nuc).